Friday, August 20, 2010

I haven't been keeping up on this like I should....Anyway, I was riding Freya two days ago and she was just being a brat. She was rushing into the trot, and when I tried to bring her back down to a walk, Freya would try to rear and throw her head up. Whenever I would ask her to change directions, Freya would give me her rear/head toss thing. When she almost went all the way up, I did a flying dismount(I didn't fall off ..I really did dismount) and unbuckled one of her reins and made her WORK. I made her back up, yield her hindquarters-both directions, and lunged her both directions, walk, trot, and canter. After I was finished lunging her, I went to get back on, Freya kept walking away, or side-stepping just enough so that I couldn't mount. This earned her some more yielding of the hindquarters. Freya finally decided that she should probably stand still. Her attitude was MUCH better the second time I rode her, she had some VERY nice transitions and was quite bendy.  Then yesterday when I went out to the barn I decided that I would work on Freya's lunging and relaxing at the pole. I made some draw reins to help her stay on the bit and not flip her head up. She did really well with them and rounded her back very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment